Passing Our Faith to the Next Generation

Yesterday I had the opportunity to speak to some college students taking a class in statistics. Their professor had asked me to come in and share with them about my background and career in the area of statistics and marketing research (my day job.) I have taught classes like this myself in the past, so I was happy to spend some time with them, tell them a few stories and offer some guidance as to how to navigate some of the waters ahead of them in their schooling and future careers.

I was almost taken aback at how eager they were to learn! At first I was concerned they might not be engaged, but from very early on, they started asking all sorts of questions. It was amazing to me how much they seemed to enjoy hearing from someone who had been where they are now (albeit many, many years ago!) and had to make some of the decisions they're currently working through. Afterwards, their teacher told me that she had never seen their "personal side" like she had just witnessed (and it was their last day of class!) 

This got me thinking about how important it is to pass along our faith - and everything related to it - to the next generation. Just as these students were hungry for advice (in that setting) regarding college and career, young people everywhere are hungry for guidance and direction when it comes to their walk with God. While we are all called to share our faith I think we have a little extra responsibility to share it with the generations behind us, be it our children or younger people in general.

My people, hear my teaching;
listen to the words of my mouth.
I will open my mouth with a parable;
I will utter hidden things, things from of old—
things we have heard and known,
things our ancestors have told us.
We will not hide them from their descendants;
we will tell the next generation
the praiseworthy deeds of the Lord,
his power, and the wonders he has done.

It is incredibly important to share the "praiseworthy deeds of the Lord" with those who are coming behind us. In this day and age especially, when society and secular culture seem to be doing everything they can to remove God and Jesus from the conversation, we must make sure that Jesus stays front and center. We need to let our young people know that God is very real. We must give them something strong to hold on to and the ammunition to fight, and win, in the cultural battle taking place. They are hungry for it. 

So be on the lookout to share with a younger person over the next few days. Maybe someone in your church. Maybe a young co-worker. Or maybe even your own children. If you haven't been intentional about doing this sort of thing, maybe now is the time for you to start.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Divine Appointments

Proving What is Good, Part 2

Wisdom Times Three