Getting Your Heart Right

I don't know about you, but I suspect we are alike in that we don't like those moments when, for lack of a better phrase, God pulls us up short. Let me explain with an example...

Yesterday I was taking care of an errand or two at lunchtime and was navigating through a parking lot. As I approached an intersection, another car came up from the other aisle on my left. I think I was there first but, feeling "charitable", I waved the lady through and she proceeded in front of me on the way to the main road. The first thought and emotion I experienced was peace and calm; something akin to, "I love doing nice things for people!". Unfortunately, it was followed immediately by, "Now, don't make me regret it!". Wow, where did that come from?!

With that, God convicted me... Hard! What I heard next was, "Gee, aren't you glad my son Jesus doesn't have that attitude about you? Aren't you glad He isn't watching you and hoping that you don't make Him regret all that He did for you?" Again, wow!

Where do these things come from? What makes us think these things, that we know are not the thoughts we should be having? Something was going in my heart in that parking lot that wasn't right. We need to monitor our hearts and ask God to help us with that, so that our thoughts and actions can stay in line with what God would have us do. 

A great prayer for this can be found in Psalm 139:23-24...


"Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting."


I challenge you today to pray this prayer... and mean it! Ask Him to help you monitor your heart. Ask him to show you the "offensive way" and let Him lead you into that "way everlasting." It's never fun to be convicted by God. But, it's part of the process. It's how He lets us know what we need to work on. He convicts us, because He loves us. I pray that this prayer makes a difference in your life today.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Divine Appointments

Proving What is Good, Part 2

Wisdom Times Three