Loving Those that are Hurting

The Christmas season is typically one of joy and excitement. For many though, it can be a difficult season of pain and sorrow. For those who have lost loved ones in the previous 12 months and have to go through the holidays without them for the first time, this can be a very difficult time of year. We happen to have a number of friends, and some extended family, that are struggling to get through their first holiday season without their husband, father, wife, mother, child, etc.

As a friend or family member of these folks we need to be sensitive to this in a number of ways. They may not be "feeling the Christmas spirit" the way we think they should, or even the way they have in the past. I think there are a couple of things we can do though, to walk with them through this stage of their grief.

First, I think the following verses provide direction and hope for grieving folks who are trying to navigate the difficult waters that they now find themselves in:

"Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I entrust my life. Teach me to do your will, for you are my God; may your good Spirit lead me on level ground." (Psalm 143:8,10)

Sharing this verse with them, or even using it as a prayer for them, might be helpful.

The second, and probably most important thing we can do is just love them. Just be there for them in whatever way they may need, and just love them. Let them know that you are there. Let them know that they are not alone. Let them know that God still has a purpose for their life. As Peter writes, "Finally, all of you, be like-minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble." (1 Peter 3:8)

So my challenge for you today, and throughout the holiday season is this: Reach out to that friend or family member that you know is struggling with a loss this year. Let them know you're thinking of them, and praying for them. And really do pray for them - just don't say that you are. And maybe ask God what He would have you do for them - He knows what they need. It's possible that you are able to provide just what they need, when they need it. Be a blessing to someone who is hurting this holiday season!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Divine Appointments

Proving What is Good, Part 2

Wisdom Times Three