In Giving, We Receive

Christmas is just about upon us! In fact, as I post this, if you happen to be reading this in New Zealand it's already Christmas morning! As this will be my final Advent post, I wanted to take a few minutes to talk about something that will probably be a big part of your Christmas Day... giving and receiving.

It's important to have our hearts in the right place when it comes to giving. As Paul tells us, 

"Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver." (2 Cor 9:7)

This verse is often used in churches when it comes time for offerings and pledges. At Christmas, though, I think it is appropriate to remind ourselves of this as we exchange presents. I remember as a child, we would take turns opening gifts. We would each open one present at a time. It was hard to stay focused when one of my sisters was opening something. I was more concerned with what my next gift was going to be! As I've gotten older though, I find that it is much more exciting to me when my wife opens something I got for her, or when our daughters or grand-kids are digging into the next gift wrapped mystery!

That feeling we get - that joy in being able to give something to someone else and then see their joy when the receive it - is what I believe Saint Francis of Assisi was referring to in his famous Peace Prayer:

Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;

Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
Where there is injury, pardon;
Where there is error, the truth;
Where there is doubt, the faith;
Where there is despair, hope;
Where there is darkness, light;
And where there is sadness, joy.

O Divine Master,
Grant that I may not so much seek
To be consoled, as to console;
To be understood, as to understand;
To be loved as to love.

For it is in giving that we receive;
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
And it is in dying that we are born to eternal life. Amen.

"It is in giving that we receive." This is so true. Keep this in mind as you celebrate Christmas this year. Keep it in mind after the Holidays are over, as well. And think about what this means in terms of what God gave us. WHO God gave us. He gave us HIS son. His ONLY son. And He did so because He, "so loved us" (John 3:16).


For to us a child is born,to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. (Isaiah 9:6)

May your Christmas be filled with the Love and Peace that God desires for all of us. I pray that this Christmas brings to you a renewed and deeper understanding of God's love for you and how much you mean to Him. I pray that we all receive His greatest gift to us with hearts that feel the Joy that our Heavenly Father feels for each and every one of us. 

Image Source: http://amac.us/merry-christmas-best-wishes-blessed-new-year/ 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Divine Appointments

Proving What is Good, Part 2

Wisdom Times Three