Looking Ahead but Being Present

Here we are... the final day of 2016. How is this possible? I would bet that each one of us has asked that question at least once in the last several days. If you're like me, and I would dare say like most people, you've also spent some time reflecting on the last 12 months. What did I accomplish? How did I respond to the challenges that I faced? Did I grow spiritually? Did I make positive memories? These are, in no particular order, just a few of the types of questions that I tend to ask myself each year at this time.

It's a also a time to look ahead. I'm not one for making New Year's Resolutions per se, but I certainly do enjoy taking the time to set some goals and put together a plan for achieving them. (OK, maybe they are resolutions... maybe it's just semantics... but it works for me!) I want to share a couple of my goals for this coming year, particularly as the pertain to my faith and my quest to live "unfiltered for God."

1 - Actively Avoid Ruts! I have come to learn that one of the biggest obstacles to my growth is my comfort zone. It's too easy to just stick with what's comfortable and avoid the unknown. However, when you hear the Holy Spirit calling you to something new - calling you to be stretched - it's imperative that you heed that call and step into the unknown. As Jesus told us, in the verse that has become one of my life verses and the guidepost of this blog, “Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it.” (Luke 11:28, NIV). Besides, as I have heard my pastor quote on numerous occasions, "a rut is just a grave with the ends kicked out!"

2 - Be Present! This transcends all aspects of life, but at it's core it is a faith issue. Left to my own devices, I can easily be consumed with the future - whether that future is 10 minutes or 10 years ahead of me. It's fun to look ahead - much like we all are no doubt doing as we prepare for the start of a new year. Wherever we find ourselves, however, whatever we're doing, we must be fully present "in the now". There are so many aspects to this one but I'll focus on just two...
     First, from a relationship and communication standpoint, whomever you are speaking with at any point in time should have your sole attention. Don't short-change them by having you thoughts wander off to something else. It doesn't show respect for the person you are with.
     Second, experience the day! Don't let your desire to know what the future will bring rob you of the joy and pleasure of today. Prepare for the future? Yes. Look forward to what the future may bring? Certainly. But, live in the moment! Be present! As James said, "Now listen, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money. ”Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes." (James 4:13-14 NIV)

I pray that 2017 is one that brings you abundant blessings. I pray that you grow in your faith this next year - whatever that may look like for you. And I pray that you hear His promptings, act on them obediently and experience the subsequent blessing that He has for you.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Divine Appointments

Proving What is Good, Part 2

Wisdom Times Three