Sleep in Heavenly Peace

Christmas Eve. Perhaps my favorite day of the year. The culmination of all of the busy preparations for the joyous arrival of Christmas, tomorrow. The excitement of what the morning will bring! As a child, I remember falling asleep on Christmas Eve with thoughts of what might be waiting under the tree. As an adult, I can't wait to watch our kids and grandchildren as they discover what awaits them! (And, of course, I still look forward to what might be awaiting me, as well!) 

This morning as I was thinking about these things, sipping my coffee on our back porch before the sun came up, the song Silent Night was looping in my brain, providing the soundtrack for my thoughts. One line kept striking me - one that I've never given much more than a passing thought before, "Sleep in Heavenly Peace." In the context of the song, it's referring to the Baby Jesus, sleeping in heavenly peace, right after His Birth. It made me ask the question... What does it mean for us to "sleep in heavenly peace"?

The Bible doesn't doesn't say a lot about sleeping, at least not in this context, but it obviously does speak a lot of peace. One of my favorite verses says, "You will keep in perfect peace, him who's mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you." (Isaiah 26:3 NIV) Perfect peace has always seemed like an aspiration to me. In our busy world, that kind of peace seems unattainable most of the time. Psalm 34 tells us that we do have to be proactive, "Seek peace and pursue it." (Psalm 34:14 NIV) 

So, how do we pursue not only peace, but "heavenly peace" and not just that but be able to sleep with that kind of peace? I think it starts with, in what or whom you put your trust. It is Jesus who ultimately brings and gives us peace. In His own words, “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” (John16:33 NIV)

Even as He was born, as part of the story that will be read and recounted countless times over the next day or two, the angels that appeared to the shepherds said, “Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests.” (Luke 2:14 NIV)

There are numerous other passages that speak of His peace. What I take away from all of this is that Jesus is the key. Without Him, not only will you not have peace, there actually is no peace. I don't believe you can have true peace without Him. That's what this time of year is all about. That's what Christmas is all about. Jesus came into the world. Jesus brought peace with Him. And he left it with us. "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." (John 14:27 NIV)

So tonight, as you settle down to sleep, remember this peace that He has brought to us. Remember the hope that he brought us. Remember that without Him there is no peace. But with Him... Oh, with Him, all things are possible and joy and peace abound. That should help you to sleep well, or rather, in heavenly peace.

Merry Christmas to You All!!!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Divine Appointments

Proving What is Good, Part 2

Wisdom Times Three