Spiritual Hygiene


There’s an awful lot of talk these days about hygiene. In fact, I don’t think I’ve been told so many times to make sure I wash my hands (while singing “Happy Birthday”… Twice!) since I was in elementary school. And for good reason, I should say. This Coronavirus has a lot of people concerned, so it’s just prudent to use common sense when it comes to keeping your hands clean, not touching your face, and generally practicing good hygienic habits. And of course, these are things we should be doing all the time anyway, regardless of any newly introduced virus or even just good old-fashioned influenza. As a borderline germophobe, I think we could all do a better job at these things!

Now, you’re starting to ask yourself, what does this possibly have to do with faith, or living unfiltered for God? Well, I’m glad you asked!

Yesterday morning during my time in The Word, I came across a passage that I know I have read many times before. And as Scripture often does when you read it regularly, it can mean something different from reading to reading, as time goes by and seasons change. And this time, I heard the Holy Spirit clearly impress upon me what I was supposed to take away from the words this time.

But now is the time to get rid of anger, rage, malicious behavior, slander, and dirty language. Don’t lie to each other, for you have stripped off your old sinful nature and all its wicked deeds. Put on your new nature, and be renewed as you learn to know your Creator and become like him.” (Colossians 3:8-10 NLT)

As soon as I finished reading, the message was clear: Keep yourself “clean” spiritually! Practice "Spiritual Hygiene”! Just like you wash your hands and face to protect yourself from germs and catching viruses that could harm you, wash and rid yourself of all things evil. Stay away from them. Protect yourselves!

This got me thinking… How do I do this? What are the things I do regularly that keep me free from these evil things? And am I conscious of it? What I mean is, am I aware of what some of these habits are actually doing and creating in me? For example, during my quiet time in the morning, do I think about the fact that doing so is helping to keep the enemy at bay? That it is helping me become more like Jesus? Or… am I just doing it out of habit? Just going through the motions because, “it’s what I do”?

You see, this is where it gets interesting. When good spiritual disciplines become just a rote chore, then we really aren’t getting the benefit that is intended. Going back to the beginning of this piece, it’s like washing your hands really quick without really thinking about it and not taking the time to do a thorough job, realizing there is purpose behind the behavior.

And there’s that word… Purpose! There is purpose in Prayer. There is purpose in reading His Word. There is purpose in getting away by yourself. There is purpose in listening for, and to, His voice!

So, how do you practice spiritual hygiene? How do you ensure you are ridding yourself of that negative, fleshy, dirty stuff and replacing it with, “tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience” (Colossians 3:12 NLT)? It’s important to think about. It’s important to remember that there is purpose behind it all.

My prayer is that all of this talk of hygiene in society these days will help us be more intentional about keeping ourselves spiritually clean, as well. I’ll leave you with this prayer, found just a few verses later…

And let the peace that comes from Christ rule in your hearts. For as members of one body you are called to live in peace. And always be thankful.” (Colossians 3:15 NLT)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Divine Appointments

Proving What is Good, Part 2

Wisdom Times Three