A Lesson in Faith

We just returned from our annual trip to Florida Family CFO, a Christian family camp that my wife and I have been attending for the past 12 years. I say my wife and I, but there are lots of other family and extended family that are always there, as well. And, as the camp name implies, even a first-timer who has come by themselves becomes family very quickly. It is one of the highlights of my year to go to this place. It was there at camp four years ago when God gave me the idea to write this blog and to generally live, “Unfiltered for God.”

Every year there are many stories and situations that occur that we end up talking about throughout the year. When we came back a year ago, I wrote about having Communion at 7:30 every morning on the dock with the Youth of the camp. I was blessed this year to be able to do that again, and it is a story that originated on that very same dock that I am going to share here, now.

Unlike last year, I knew that I was going to be spending this time every morning with the kids, so I went a little bit more prepared. For many years, there had been a gentleman at camp that would lead the youth portion of the camp, including the morning communion. Every year, he would give dollar coins to those kids who made it to communion every day. Over the years, it became a badge of honor to receive one of those coins and to collect them over the years. I wanted to honor that tradition, and the man who used to do this, as he has since gone to be with The Lord.

For the renewed version of this, I brought some scripture stones with me with the idea of doing the same thing – giving those to the kids who faithfully attended every morning. These were simple, small little stones with various verses written on them. As the week went by, I made no mention of what would come to them Friday morning if they were diligent in their attendance. Well, come Friday morning, there were only five kids who made it out. (I should add here, that Thursday evenings are traditionally late nights for everyone at the camp, so Friday mornings can be a bit, well, challenging.) And, as you might expect, those five became the only five to make it to communion every morning last week.

As I was reading that day’s scripture (Psalm 145) and as I was sharing some of my story about how God has grown compassion in my heart, I could tell that one of the young ladies was just totally locked in to everything I was saying. I couldn’t explain what I saw in her eyes until earlier today, but it was like I could see her weeping in the spirit as I was talking. I could see God growing compassion in her even as she was just sitting there. I had seen God moving in this precious girl all week and it was incredible to watch what was taking place before me.

As we finished with the message portion of our time, and after we shared in the celebration of communion together, it was time to give out the stones. I had a box of 24 and I wanted them to choose the ones they wanted. I knew in my heart that this particular young lady was supposed to have first pick. As I handed her the box, she poured over them, thoughtfully and prayerfully considering which one was for her. After a minute or so she had hers and then the others dove in to find which stone was meant for them. While the other four were choosing, I heard The Lord say that this special young lady was supposed to choose one for me, as well. I told her this and then watched her go through the same thoughtful process she had gone through moments earlier in choosing her own. The stone she chose for me had Hebrews 11:1 written on it… “Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things unseen.

I have had that stone in my pocket or within feet of me ever since then, with the exception of about one hour. I was planning on writing down and sharing this story almost as soon as I walked off of that dock. I thought that was going to be the extent of it, but God had something more in mind. 

Now, let me tell you about that one hour… 

Two of our grandchildren, who had been at camp with us and had been at that dock in the mornings, joined us at church this morning and then we went out to lunch afterward. After lunch we all came back to our home. It was then that I realized that my scripture stone was not in my pocket! My heart raced. It may sound silly, but I had become quite attached to that little piece of rock over the last few days. Not for the physical aspect but for what it meant in the spiritual. It was very important to me, on many levels, that I not lose that stone! I searched in the car, thinking it might have fallen out there, but to no avail. My grand-daughter reminded me of the only two places it could have fallen out: at our table or when we returned to the car.

So, shortly after our grand-kids headed back to their house, I drove back over to the restaurant to search. As I drove over, I knew – I just knew – that I was going to find it. Things were running through my head, though, like, “This better not mean I’ve lost my faith!”, referencing the scripture on the stone. I couldn’t get there fast enough. (I will confess at this point that I’m a little grateful that my wife didn’t ride with me because I may not have driven quite as quickly to get there!) When I arrived, I retraced my steps. No luck. I walked over to the table at which we had been sitting. We had been outside, so that made it a little less weird walking around looking at everyone’s feet! But, still no luck. I got back to my car, unlocked it and thought I had one more chance. I needed to look underneath all of the cars parked in the area that we had parked earlier. And so I did, I got down on my knees and looked in one direction – nothing. But then… Then I turned in the other direction and there it was! Just a stretched arm away. I had found my faith stone. I was thrilled, to say the least.

As I headed back home, I asked The Lord what that was all about… Why did I need to go through this whole ordeal? What I heard is a powerful lesson. Sometimes, when we lose the things that are important to us, we need to get on our knees. That is the place we find the things that are most meaningful. On our knees. In a place of surrender and sometimes desperation. When we’ve run out of all other options, we need to just get on our knees. And actually, if I had done that first, I would not have had all of the awkward searching beforehand.


I don’t know where this story will land with you, but I know it is very powerful to me. Seeing God at work in a young lady’s heart. Getting wisdom from my teenage grand-daughter. Finding a simple little stone in a parking lot. All lessons and messages from our Father in the everyday situations and circumstances that we find ourselves in. He’s everywhere. And He wants us to see him there.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Divine Appointments

Proving What is Good, Part 2

Wisdom Times Three