The Lasting Impact of Obedience

I've been reminded this weekend of one of the very first times I remember being actively aware that I was being obedient to one of God's promptings. And actually, I don't even feel like I can "take credit" for doing so, because I truly believe that I had no say in the matter. It was a situation where God literally "took the wheel", as they say. Let me explain...

Many, many years ago, after a few years of floundering in college, I knew it was time for me to get my act together. I had taken a year off of school - my mother had been diagnosed with cancer an the outlook was not good. I decided to go back home to spend some time with her as well as figure out how I was going to get my schooling back on track. After she passed away, it was time. No more messing around. I needed to finish my degree and get on with my life. It was a definite 1 Corinthians 13:11 moment, although I didn't necessarily think of it as such back then.

When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 

I knew that I needed to get back into school, but I didn't have the resources to be able to go away. My sister blessed me with the offer to stay and live with her while I finished. I would have to find somewhere I could commute. I made a mental circle about an hour or so away from where we lived and looked at the (slim) possibilities. I decided I would drive down and visit a school in Boca Raton, FL. On my way down, I saw a small sign on the side of the road for a different college - one that I had never heard of - that was about 20 minutes closer to home. I probably forgot about that sign five minutes later.

When I got to the original university I was considering, it took me no time at all to realize that this was NOT the place for me. It reminded me far too much of the place I had already spent a few semesters, getting lost in the crowd while succeeding in nothing but having a good time and getting really good at beach volleyball. So, without speaking to a single person there, I walked back to my car and got on the highway to head home. "A wasted trip", I thought as I spent no more than 10 minutes on that campus.

On the way back home, however, my life changed forever. I don't say that lightly. I've told this story many times since that day - including several times this weekend. On my way north on I-95 in West Palm Beach, I saw another sign for that little college I had never heard of before. "Hmmm, " I thought, "I wonder what that place is all about?" And this is where Jesus literally took the wheel... I no sooner started thinking, "Maybe I should check that place out? I wonder what it's like?" when I swear to you the steering wheel turned and took me off onto the exit. I think I even said out loud, "Well, I guess I'm going to find out!"

Ten minutes later, I was parked on the campus of Palm Beach Atlantic College. As soon as I stepped out of the car, it was like I was on Holy Ground. It all just felt right. I can't explain it. From that point forward, I knew that this was the place I was supposed to be. This was "home". Over the course of the next two years, I discovered what it meant to actually enjoy college and excel in my field of study. If I go back to my core scripture for this blog - and what has become a life scripture for me - this was just the beginning of the blessing for obeying the word from God that I obeyed. 

He replied, "Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it."

I must confess here, though, that I really feel awkward saying that I was obedient in the moment that my car exited off the highway, as I truly believe that He took control of my car and made that turn for me. It was following through, and believing that there was a divine purpose in it all, that I feel was the real obedience in that situation.

So... Why is all of this pertinent now? Why do I share this story at this point in time? Well, fast forward 25 plus years. The reason this weekend brought it back to mind was because we were visiting our grandson, Brice, during his first semester of college... at Palm Beach Atlantic (now) University. You see, all these years later, our grandson is attending that same school that God made it very clear He wanted me to attend! When Brice first stepped foot on campus, as he was considering which college to attend, he says he had a very similar experience to mine. He just knew it was right.

I realize now, that moment all those years ago when my car turned off the highway, was not all about me. Sure, God was directing me toward where He wanted me to be, but there was so much more at stake in that moment. What if I hadn't followed through? What if I had turned the car around? What if my attitude and heart had been different when I originally stepped on that campus? Not only would I have lost my blessing, but Brice's future would have been changed. Growing up in north Georgia, he may never have learned about this small little Christian College in south Florida. He may have missed out on his blessings.

Never, ever, underestimate the lasting impact a single, simple act of obedience may have on your life, the lives of others, and the Kingdom. When God asks us to do something... When He prompts us to make a move or say something to someone... Or when He flat out takes control of your car... Recognize that He has a plan, and what may seem small and insignificant in the moment, may just well be the turning point in your life - or someone else's.

Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, “This is the way; walk in it.”


[Note to my regular readers: You may have noticed that I haven't been posting these blogs as frequently lately. Part of the reason is that I have been led to turn this idea of Living Unfiltered for God into a book, so much of my writing energy has been focused on that of late. I will still be blogging, but not as often. Unless, of course, He tells me differently!]


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Divine Appointments

Proving What is Good, Part 2

Wisdom Times Three