“There’s Nothing You Can Break That I Can’t Fix”


Recently, I’ve been watching a series of sermons from Pastor Miles McPherson (Rock Church in San Diego) about prophecy. One definition that keeps getting repeated is that prophecy is a word, that becomes a thing, that in turn gets transformed into God’s Glory. Maybe it’s because my wife and I have been talking about this a lot lately, but when I felt the Lord give me a word this morning – out of nowhere, by the way, (and isn’t that often the case?) – I knew I was supposed to share it in this manner.

I’ve written in this space often (here, here and here, for a few) about the family camp we attend every summer. There have also been posts about the scripture stones that the youth receive on the last day of camp. This is always one of my personal highlights of our camp – to see which scriptures resonate with the kids. As part of this tradition, I ask one of them to choose a stone for me. I can’t begin to tell you (although I attempted to in a previous post) how much these stones have come to mean to me throughout the year. I usually carry them in my pocket for the first few weeks back. They reside on a special place on my dresser so I can see them every morning and every night. Reminders of wonderful memories… prompts to pray for those that chose them… and building hope and excitement until the next time we are all together.

This year, however, my scripture stone had a bit of a mishap. I made the mistake apparently, of carrying something else in my pocket with it, and when I pulled it out, many of the letters were jumbled. They are all still there (for the most part) but most not in a very legible fashion. When it originally happened, I had to remind myself that nothing had really changed. I still knew the verse (Jeremiah 29:11) that it represented. It didn’t change the heart behind the choice itself, of the special young lady that deliberated over choosing that one for me this year. It didn’t really mean anything, other than something happened to rub against it and scratch up the letters.

As the weeks have gone by, I sometimes get a little frustrated when I see it, (“Gee, I really wish that hadn’t happened.”), but that’s about it. I still have all the positive aspects of feelings, just like I do with the others. Until this morning…

This morning, when I first saw that stone, it was one of those days when I started to feel just a little sad that I had “messed it up”. I picked it up to hold it and could sense the Holy Spirit saying, “You may not see the words – the ones telling you, ‘I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.’ – but, you don’t need to. I still know them. I still know the plans and purposes I have for you. Don’t worry.”  That made me realize, just when we think we’ve messed it all up, that life was all simple and easy until we did something to jumble it all up so that it doesn’t make sense anymore, he reminds us that... He still knows… And He still has it all under control.

So, after this happened, I came downstairs to tell my wife what had just taken place. It was during this conversation that He gave me the word that I have been compelled to share. This is how he had me summarize the whole situation to my wife, “There is nothing you can break that I can’t fix.”

There is NOTHING you can break that He can’t fix!

Let that sink in for a minute…

While there are many things that could come to mind when you first ponder that, I don’t know that anything is more important than relationships. And most importantly, your relationship with Him. But what is it for you? What is it you feel you have broken… that you need to know today, right now, that God can fix? Because, you know what? He can. Don’t ever lose sight of that. Matthew 19:26 says, “Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”” All things. That includes that thing you think is broken.

May this word become something in you – hope, encouragement, renewed purpose, whatever you need – that God transforms into glory, for Him and his Kingdom.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Divine Appointments

Proving What is Good, Part 2

Wisdom Times Three