What Kind of Light Are You?


We often hear the expression, “Be a light!” If you are a Christian, we are taught that we are to shine Christ’s light – to emanate His Light that lives within us to the world around us. Have you ever really thought about what that means, though? Or how to practice this on a day to day basis?
He said to them, “Do you bring in a lamp to put it under a bowl or a bed? Instead, don’t you put it on its stand? For whatever is hidden is meant to be disclosed, and whatever is concealed is meant to be brought out into the open. (Mark 4:21-22 NIV) 
Several weeks ago, I was reading through a devotional with some others that posed a question I had never thought of before. In the “For Reflection” area, it stated the following:

“There are different kinds of lights (traffic lights, flashlights, spotlights, florescent lights, candle lights, lighthouse, torches, lamps) - which one best describes you? Why?”

This really got me thinking. Like anything else when it comes to bible study, the more you dig in, the more you find, and the more you’re challenged!

My first thought was that I see myself as a lighthouse (not a shock to anyone who knows me or follows this blog). I'd like to think that I stand tall and shine my light regardless of the conditions around me. (Admittedly, this is an aspirational view more than one of objective reality.) However, as I thought more about it, while the lighthouse is there, lighting the way for others, it is stationary. Its light is only seen if someone gets close enough to it or is already looking for guidance. While its light can be powerful and effective, it is limited in its potential for impact.

A flashlight, on the other hand, is mobile. In the right hands it can seek and find lost things. This made me think even further...  Maybe we are meant to shine our respective lights differently? In my case, my "light personality" is more lighthouse than flashlight. That's not bad, it's just how He wired me.

I posted my thinking in the area of the app that allows for sharing our thoughts with the others that we’re reading with. A little while later, a friend of mine shared her thoughts, “I loved spotlight! I love to “spot out” potential in people and as an encourager, propel people out of darkness into the spotlight… so that they can share their God given gifts and abilities as God intended, as His child and for His glory.”

Well, isn’t that, cool! This provided some additional validation for my earlier thoughts. Like so many other areas, we are all different and we all provide something valuable – in different ways – to the Kingdom.

Even so the body is not made up of one part but of many. Now if the foot should say, “Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body,” it would not for that reason stop being part of the body. And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body,” it would not for that reason stop being part of the body. If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be? But in fact God has placed the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be. If they were all one part, where would the body be? As it is, there are many parts, but one body.(1 Corinthians 12:14-20 NIV)
I believe it’s good to be aware that we have strengths and weaknesses – in all areas of our lives – our faith walks included. It’s helpful to realize that there is more than one way to shine your light. And regardless of what kind of light you may be, you can be sure that God is able to use it for His glory!

So, what do you think? What kind of light are you? I would love for you to share your thoughts, ideas and comments in the area below, or as a comment on whatever platform you may be reading this. We learn – and grow – with each other! Thanks - And thank you for reading!

Photo Credit @captainkimophoto

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Divine Appointments

Proving What is Good, Part 2

Wisdom Times Three