Being in Position

 From the time I was a young boy (when I first started playing competitive sports) I remember hearing the words, “You have to be in the right position!” Playing baseball, as a Shortstop, it was vital that I placed myself in the most advantageous position between second and third base. (Fortunately, this was before “the shift” became a thing!) It varied from batter to batter, how many outs there were, if there were runners on base, and so forth. To be the best shortstop that I could be, I had to pay attention to my physical location.

            This continues today, as I’ve recently started playing tennis competitively with my daughter. If you watch Mixed-Doubles on TV, it may seem innocuous enough, but let me tell you – there is A LOT going on and to keep track of! Not the least of which is placing yourself in the proper position on the court. Michelle (possibly the world’s most patient daughter) is forever telling me to, “watch your alley” and “get closer to the net.” We’ve played enough that you think I would know by now, but alas, I’m thinking about the 7 (hundred!) other things I’m trying to keep track of…. Needless to say, when I listen to her – and put myself in the right position – we fare much better than when I don’t set up properly.

              I say all this because there is a spiritual component to this idea, as well. When we put ourselves in the right position spiritually, and often even physically, we set ourselves up for potential blessings and miracles from God.

 I’ve written in this space extensively about the idea of putting yourself in a position to hear from God. If we are to live unfiltered for Him, we must know what He wants us to do before we can be obedient and actually do it. Typically, we consider that to be getting quiet before Him and putting all other distractions aside. This is a great practice and spiritual discipline in which I would encourage everyone to engage. Sometimes it is more than that, however.

A great scriptural example of being in the right position – physically and spiritually – is Mary Magdalene on the morning she discovered Jesus was no longer in the tomb. The four gospels depict slight variations of the events. The synoptic gospels mention she went there with other women for the purposes of anointing Jesus’s body with oil. The Gospel of John just mentions Mary Magdalene: “Early on the first day of the week, while it was still dark, Mary Magdalene went to the tomb and saw that the stone had been removed from the entrance.” (John 20:1 NIV) Upon seeing the stone removed, she went to get Peter and John. When they came, they went in and saw that Jesus’s body was no longer there. At this point, Simon and John left, and “went back to where they were staying.” (John 20:10)

But Mary stayed. And wept. As she was doing so, she looked into the tomb itself and saw two angels. After a brief conversation, Jesus appeared and spoke to her. Before she looked at him, she thought it was the gardener, but then he spoke her name, and then she turned and recognized him! Jesus told her to go back to the disciples and tell them the good news. Which she did enthusiastically!

So, why was Mary Magdalene the one to receive the blessing of being the first to see the Risen Jesus? Well, while there may be some theological reasons that could be argued, the most direct reason is that she put herself in the right position to do so. She was there! Her faith led her to be at the tomb on that Sunday morning. She didn’t give up. She followed through. She even stayed when it looked like all was (literally) lost. She lingered…

That’s what it takes for us. Doing, in faith, what you know God is leading you to do. It may end up looking different than you originally thought, but to receive the blessing, to experience the miracle, to receive a new revelation about God, you have to put yourself in the right position.           

What does that look like for you, today? I could list some examples, but I think it’s better for you to just pause and ask Him. What does God want you to do? Where does He want you to be? What needs to change? Ask Him. Remember, as Jesus himself said, “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.” (Matthew 7:7)

Listen to His voice. Go where He says to go. And be ready to experience all that He has for you there.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Divine Appointments

Wisdom Times Three

Proving What is Good, Part 2