Unfiltered Confidence

Several evenings ago I attended a memorial service for a friend's husband. I didn't realize it but he was 11 days younger than me. That gets your attention. As I was waiting to pay my respects to my friend, now a widow with twin 3-year-old daughters, I thought about how they handled the last couple of years through his illness. They navigated it with strength, courage, and an unwavering faith. There was always a subtle confidence that came through in every update of their journey. And now, that part of the journey over, as I spoke with my friend another confidence was exhibited. That of knowing where her husband was - celebrating with Jesus in Heaven - and knowing that whatever future may be in store for her and her girls, God has it all under control. 

This is exactly what our pastor was referring to in his message last Sunday when he taught us that we must have, "confidence, even when we don't have clarity." The same confidence that Jonathan had when attacking the Philistines (1 Samuel 14), that Joshua had when he took Jericho (Joshua 6) and even that Jesus displayed when he prayed in the garden of Gethsemane (Matthew 26:36-46) - that confidence of knowing God is in control, even when we aren't clear on what the outcome will be - we are to display every day and in all things that we face. Our only job is to be obedient, as Jonathan, Joshua and Jesus were obedient, and trust God for the outcomes.

Obviously, this is all part of living the unfiltered life for God. That we do what we know God wants us to and when we hear His prompting, we act on that prompting. Interestingly, another great, impromptu example of living this way occurred yesterday at my office. One of my co-workers sent a link to a video (the one below) to a handful of us. Just something that touched her and she felt led to share. Now, she was not aware of the story I just told you about my friend. Nor was she aware that we had received some other very scary news yesterday morning regarding the health of a family member going through an illness. She was just confident that she was supposed to share the message. She didn't know why - and probably didn't even think about it - she just did it. And for me at least, it landed right where it needed to, providing a little additional comfort and acting as a reminder of who really is in control.

Oh, and when I thanked my co-worker for sharing the video and alluded to some "stuff" going on she replied with the verse below. I wanted to share it with all of you...

Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust.”
Surely he will save you
from the fowler’s snare
and from the deadly pestilence.
He will cover you with his feathers,
and under his wings you will find refuge;
his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.


As you listen to the song below, remember how great our God truly is and that we don't need to have all of the answers - just the confidence to act in accordance to His will.

How Great Thou Art performed by Carrie Underwood and Vince Gill



  

   



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Divine Appointments

Proving What is Good, Part 2

Wisdom Times Three